Wednesday, November 19, 2008

New Adventures

With a few minutes of quiet while there are 3 sleeping babies, I wanted to update all of my close friends on what I am doing so that there aren't any awkward conversations later on. I have decided to become a vegetarian, both for my own health reasons as well as environmental and animal cruelty reasons. I have a tendency to be quite lazy in the way that I eat and fall back on easy junk food when I am tired and hungry. I have been preparing myself for this for the last few weeks, cutting out different types of meat a week at a time and I have already started losing the weight that I have been struggling to get off since Peyton was born. I have decided that I will still eat eggs and maybe occasionally fish, but otherwise I am going to focus on fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains. I need to take control of my health and I see this as being a way to jump start that. In addition to the health benefits, I am also doing it as a way to live a bit more "green". I have researched a lot of information about the amount of energy it takes to eat meat, both by losing natural resources (grass, land, water) to "fatten up" cattle to eat as well as the horrible practices that go on in slaughter houses. I'm not by any means an animal rights activist, but I have taken on a stance that I want to know what goes into the food that I am eating. Please know that this is completely a personal decision and that I will in no way preach what I am doing to anyone else. I don't promote it, I just think that it's the right thing for me at this time. Let me know what you think and if anyone would like to talk to me about it, please feel free! I'm not afraid of criticism, I've already received plenty of it from Wes about the veggie issue :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome, Erin! I was a vegetarian for six years and it was the best thing for my health and to get me off the junk. When I was pregnant, I had to start eating meat again for different health reasons, but I'm thinking of going back. My friend Mara has gone full on vegan after reading Skinny Bitch and feels so much better. And I understand the husband critiques as well (Trent didn't even know I was vegetarian until a few months into our relationship and then spent a good portion of time waving cheeseburgers in my face). Good luck!

The O's said...

Thanks, Megan :) I read Skinny Bitch as well and it definitely put things in perspective!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Is everything with your health okay -or this just preventative?